In addition to recommendations from state and local NOW chapters, NOW PACs base their endorsements on a broad feminist agenda. No other PAC expects its candidates to take strong stands on such a wide range of issues. These issues include, but are not limited to:
- reproductive freedom without restriction
- civil rights for all people–with emphasis on lesbian and gay rights
- racial justice
- moving women out of poverty through empowering, non-punitive welfare policies
- a constitutional amendment that guarantees women equality, reproductive rights and non-discrimination based on sexual orientation affirmative action ensuring equal opportunity for women and people of color
- ending violence against women
After the elections, NOW follows up with the officials that NOW PACs helped elect to make sure they are meeting these commitments.
Endorsement plus PAC contribution – This is the highest level of endorsement and is given only to those candidates who support all of our issues and will take a leadership position on those issues if elected.
Endorsement only – This level requires support for all of our issues even though the candidate may not take a leadership position of one or more of our issues.
Support – A candidate who is good on all of our issues but won’t take a leadership role, or is good on most of our issues but has a problem with one or two.
Recommend – A candidate who is good on a few of our issues, but will not be a leader, or a candidate who is not very good on our issues but is significantly better than their opposition.